Why are kids mean to each other? Usually they’re trying to get back at someone who hurt them. Or they’re trying to embarrass someone they don’t like even if that person hasn’t done anything.
Maybe bullies think that targeting others can save you from being targeted. Or that being first in line to start a rumor, make a rude comment, or threaten someone makes you cooler.
Anyone who believes that is wrong.
Cruel’s Not Cool! an anti-bullying campaign to engage students, teachers, administrators and parents in a community-wide exploration of our culture of cruelty, why cruel’s not cool, and what each of us can do, moment-by-moment to take back our schools by making them safer, more accepting places for all students all the time.
From Terra’s Inbox: Q&A About Bullying
From a Parent:“Are we doing too much for our 10 year old?”
We have a 10-year-old daughter. I have always felt that we were good parents, but looking back, I can see now how we have over-protected her and have not required her to grow up. For instance, she won't unbutton her pants to put them on or take them off because she can't do the buttons. She will only wear slip-on sneakers because she can't tie shoes well. And...she has no interest in trying to learn these things.
She does have chores which include weekly cleaning and setting/clearing the table, but we constantly have to remind her to do these things (and then listen to her complain about...
From a Teen:“I'm deaf, not stupid!”
Hi! I am 9 years old almost 10. When I was real little I went deaf in one ear. Since then my speech is not that clear and I work very hard to correct it. The other boys in my class don't seem to give me a chance. I feel sad and left out. I also feel very angry and just want friends. It seems that everywhere I go people are making fun of me, I'm deaf not stupid. I get straight A's and love sports and it sucks that this seems to be a problem that never goes away.
PLEASE HELP ME!!
I try to fit in but it is hard to join in when no one wants you around.
|Read Annie’s Answer »||Read Terra’s Answer »|
- Facebook — We’ve set up a Facebook page so you can join the discussion about bullying... share your experiences and any solutions you’ve found that actually help. Connect with others committed to ending bullying. More »
- Blog Post: “We kids would like to know…” — For almost 13 years tweens and teens have been asking me questions. Usually they’re having problems with friends, former friends, mean kids… You get the picture. Their sadness and confusion gets to me. Sometimes I tear up at the keyboard. Sometimes I yell in frustration. They don’t understand why a friend would treat them this way. I don’t get it either. But I try my best to help by telling them what they can do to improve the situation. More »
- Parent Forum article — “Don’t Add to the Garbage”
- Parenting tips for helping kids deal with friendship challenges
- Parenting tips for helping kids survive mean girls/guys
- Podcast: Queen Bees Go Hi-Tech — Guest: Rosalind Wiseman
- Download “Cruel's Not Cool” Workshop PDF