Why are kids mean to each other? Usually they’re trying to get back at someone who hurt them. Or they’re trying to embarrass someone they don’t like even if that person hasn’t done anything.
Maybe bullies think that targeting others can save you from being targeted. Or that being first in line to start a rumor, make a rude comment, or threaten someone makes you cooler.
Anyone who believes that is wrong.
Cruel’s Not Cool! an anti-bullying campaign to engage students, teachers, administrators and parents in a community-wide exploration of our culture of cruelty, why cruel’s not cool, and what each of us can do, moment-by-moment to take back our schools by making them safer, more accepting places for all students all the time.
From Terra’s Inbox: Q&A About Bullying
From a Teen:“I'm afraid I'm going to get beaten up.”
My ex and I got in a big fight today. Later his friends called me and said that he called up his girl cousins. He told me to gather up my friends coz "they're gonna get you beat up." I called my friends and one of them said that if they do "They're going to call for back up." But she thought that it's just a way to scare me and that's not really going to happen. But I'm still freaked out and scared. If they are really going to beat me up. What do I do?
From a Teen:“People are making fun of me.”
People are making fun of me saying: pig, gorilla, fat and uni-brow. It makes me feel really bad and and I don't know what to do. I tried talking to the teachers but they still do it. What should I do?
Tired of being made fun of
|Read Terra’s Answer »||Read Terra’s Answer »|
- Facebook — We’ve set up a Facebook page so you can join the discussion about bullying... share your experiences and any solutions you’ve found that actually help. Connect with others committed to ending bullying. More »
- Blog Post: “We kids would like to know…” — For almost 13 years tweens and teens have been asking me questions. Usually they’re having problems with friends, former friends, mean kids… You get the picture. Their sadness and confusion gets to me. Sometimes I tear up at the keyboard. Sometimes I yell in frustration. They don’t understand why a friend would treat them this way. I don’t get it either. But I try my best to help by telling them what they can do to improve the situation. More »
- Parent Forum article — “Don’t Add to the Garbage”
- Parenting tips for helping kids deal with friendship challenges
- Parenting tips for helping kids survive mean girls/guys
- Podcast: Queen Bees Go Hi-Tech — Guest: Rosalind Wiseman
- Download “Cruel's Not Cool” Workshop PDF